Friday 17 April 2020

Social isolation dream #1


It’s the last day at college, and I wander round looking for my colleagues to go for an end of term drink with them. Strangely, they’ve all disappeared, but there’s a guy there who I’ve seen around before, passing through. He lives in the next block. I think he’s called Richard; he’s tall and friendly, with freckles and ginger hair. We head into town together. It gets busier and busier, and the street bifurcates. It’s so narrow and busy that we can’t walk side by side, and Richard leads the way. The thoroughfare divides again and the crowd grows denser. I try to follow Richard, but eventually I lose sight of him. He must be somewhere up ahead. On the right is a bar with some empty tables inside, cream painted wooden tables and chairs. I’m sure this is the place we were supposed to go. No sign of Richard but I’m sure he’ll find me.

I sit down and wait. A barman comes along to take my order and I explain that I’m waiting for my friend. I wait for a few minutes and then go outside to look for him. No sign. Back to my table and there are four students wanting to sit down. The whole place has become impossibly crowded, with people wedged into every available space. I reclaim my seat. The guy nearest to me seems annoyed with me, and has a foreign accent, vaguely central European. I gesture to him that there’s enough space for me as well as for him and his friends.  He appears placated, loses his accent, and starts to look a lot like Hugh Grant.

A smiling middle aged barmaid in a pretty country-music dress arrives to take the orders. I explain I’m not with the others, who all want Diet Cokes; someone says something about Durham University, and that they come here because the drinks are so cheap. I’ve been studying the menu, which consists mostly of very potent Belgian beers. I’m unsure about strengths and sizes. I ask for a large one of the principal brand on offer, shown as an illegible green logo at the top of the page. It’s the most expensive item available, and the barmaid gives me a congratulatory knowing look along the lines of “good for you; you do realise it will blow your head off, don’t you”. Well, I hope it will. I’m suddenly very thirsty.

I turn to my companion. “So you’re all from Durham University, are you? I used to have a friend there”.
Immediately it occurs to me that I’m 50 years older than him, and he’s never heard of my friend, notorious though he was, involved later in life in a very public scandal.
“He lived in a kind of castle”, I say. I visualise huge black walls. “Student accommodation”.
“Ah, yes, I know. Was he in charge of the fire regulations ?”

At this point Richard reappears, very concerned and apologetic that he had lost me, blaming himself. He’s somehow pushed past me and is squashed into a triangular corner where the walls are covered with images of theatre bills. He offers to buy me a drink by way of apology. “I’ve already ordered”, I tell him. 

I turn to my new  acquaintance. “Can I introduce you to Richard?”, I say, realising that I don’t know the Durham guy’s name. “Richard” doesn’t say anything but gives me a look which I’m very certain means “my name isn’t Richard”. Which I’ve kind of suspected.

Then I wake up. I’m still thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment