Monday 22 June 2020

The threshold of the age of autophagy


The day before my twenty-first birthday, after morning lectures, I took a train into Paddington, accompanied by Juan, my Venezuelan neighbour who was going to Hammersmith Hospital for a consultation about the painful rheumatism affecting his hands. On arrival in London, he bought me a coffee and went on his way. I crossed to Fenchurch Street, and bought a day return to Shoeburyness (80 pence). While on the journey I read some of Solzhenitsyn’s “One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich”. The Thames estuary came into sight, one of my favourite bits of coastline, so I put the book away and before long arrived at the end of the line. 

Armed with OS map Number 162, “Southend-on-Sea”,  one inch to the mile, published 1957, price seven shillings and sixpence, cloth-backed, total imperial luxury, I headed north from Shoeburyness station. I took the road towards Foulness, for I had spotted on the map a waterway called New England Creek, and had formed the idea that beyond it was a small area that might – or should - be called New England Island. For my milestone birthday, into adulthood, I thought that would be somewhere suitably symbolic to visit, even if it was only a patch of Essex mud. A New England, a fresh start. I walked out of Shoeburyness and through places with odd corners and malign-looking inhabitants. Through Great Wakering and Samuel’s Corner. Off to the right, the North Sea and the fabled Maplin Sands, already being considered for London’s third airport and, under the soubriquet of Boris Island, wittered about - still runway-less - to this day.

I reached a barrier across the road; a military checkpoint. “And where are we going today, laddie?” “Er, towards Foulness”. At that precise moment, some distance ahead, came the loud crump of munitions. Perfect timing. “I don’t think so, squire. We’re in the middle of training”.

Welcome to adult life. I smartly about-turned and headed back, past the malignant corners and the odd inhabitants, and caught the next train out.

Later, in the evening sunshine on Primrose Hill, which I’d never visited before, I sat near the summit admiring the view towards the recently constructed Snowdon Aviary, Centre Point and the Post Office Tower, symbols of the decade just passed, and composed a sort of manifesto about coming of age – what I had done, where I had got to, where I wanted to go. Then I walked down across the park and returned to base. Mercifully, the manifesto soon disappeared.

Now it’s the eve of another milestone birthday. No more manifestos, but something more like an article of surrender. Now isn’t the time to be having a midlife crisis, so I shan’t be investing in a Harley-Davidson or a red Ferrari, parachuting onto the summit of the Matterhorn or walking to the South Pole, starting a new family with a Polynesian pole-dancer or having the operation so I can enter a convent. Now is not the time to be jumping out of my comfort zone, although I might gingerly explore its blurred edges. I might, for instance, consider a new pair of slippers, try to remember a few more words of Welsh like you see on bilingual roadsigns, become a more pro-active gardener, or listen to more Elgar than is strictly necessary. At The New Thirty (see blog posting for 1st June), while one should not rule out new activities - absolutely not - I feel that one should start to behave largely within the perimeters and parameters of expectation, not out of consideration for others, but for oneself, because one has accepted what one is. Circumstances of birth, parentage, location, education, time in history, the accidents and coincidences of life and opportunity, have made one what one is essentially always going to be. Now is the time to get on with it.

There are boundaries, limitations, preferred territories which it is absurd to try and deny or disrespect, and it is largely within these constraints that henceforward one will operate. This, basically, is it, this is all there is, all there is ever going to be. 

Input will surely affect output. One will begin to ransack the past for things to say in order to try and communicate, in an ongoing act of autophagy, of eating oneself, of draining the swamps of fickle memory. A meaty forearm here, a juicy earlobe there, a tasty buttock somewhere else; when you get to my age you have to bite what you can reach. This tendency for devouring oneself is no doubt augmented by the current viral pandemic, by the restraints imposed by lockdown, and in my own case by this entirely unnecessary habit of blogging. Perhaps I should keep stumm.

As one grows older, if one is fortunate to age in reasonable health, one can expect that the tendency towards self-consumption will become more pronounced, until most of the substance has been used up and one has reduced to a skeleton of core fixations, into an etiolated being boring others to death with the same old pointless and increasingly disjointed, mangled, predictable anecdotes and derailed trains of thought. Ultimately, a time will come when even these cannot be accessed, even via the most tortuous routes of mental association and by the well-rehearsed promptings of one’s kind and patient relatives. And then what happens? What is left? Is what is left what one truly is, what one has been all along, no longer worried by detail or meaningfulness or relevance, no longer clothed in the flatteries of language and productive life? What then?

I wonder if I’ll get some new slippers for my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment